Happy New Year everyone! 😀 Let’s bid farewell to 2011 and welcome 2012 with open arms~
The past year was probably one of the most challenging ones I’ve had. I was faced with so many obstacles that there were many times that I felt hopeless and depressed (you can probably tell through my super emo self portraits). But the good thing is that it that it forced me to start thinking about my life seriously and start making changes to improve it.
But 2011 wasn’t all bad of course. I had a lot of wonderful moments too. I experienced a lot of new things and met some amazing people 😀
Anyway, like last year, I decided to make a wrap-up entry here on my blog which summarizes some of the memorable times (both good and bad) for each month.
- I had my first video chat with Ckloy, on New Year’s Eve 😀
- We picked up Greaty from Pampangga and he became the newest member of our family
- I went to MMSU with Beulah, Amie, Kuya Don and Dr. Pascua to process some clay that I needed for my thesis
- Went into emo mode for about a week after I discovered that Amie and I wouldn’t be graduating that semester T__T
- Explored Ilocos and Baguio with Amie and Beulah (with Nathan’s help). I didn’t know Beulah very well before this, but we bonded a lot during the trip.
- Helped Ckloy choose his new camera
- Experienced having to live away from home for the first time when I started staying in my condo in Katipunan (full time – not just twice a week like I used to do).
- Celebrated Ate Love’s birthday on Valentine’s day by having dinner at Sbarro with Kat and Larry. We bought matching hand creams at Etude House 🙂
- Went to the UPLB Feb Fair with Ckloy and met up with old friends and new members
- Showed Beulah and Daisy around when they visited us in LB for the first time
- Celebrated Beulah’s birthday by having dinner at Pizza Hut and holding a mini-slumber party at my apartment
- Ckloy turned 26 (he doesn’t really celebrate his birthday but Ezra and I bought him some ice cream anyway XD)
- Celebrated Aprille’s birthday by having crepes and shakes at Dairymoor
- Celebrated Ezra’s birthday by having lunch at Festival Mall and helping her pick out a new cellphone
- Had my first driving experience in Manila after Beulah, Lynne, Amie and I had dinner at Banapple (because Beulah still had her fear of U-turns and didn’t want to drive us back, lol)
- Had our first barkada meet-up with Jay and Vesma at SM Calamba to help them plan some things for their wedding
- Spent most of my time in the lab (I even slept there a couple of times with Amie) because we were busy cramming for our thesis proposal defense
- My adviser transferred to MMSU so we had to bid farewell to our clay lab at the end of the month
- Parents celebrated their 27th wedding anniversary (without me, because I had to do work at the lab).
- Tito Willie visited us in the Philippines again after 14 years, and he brought our Costco photobooks with him
- Ezra and I attended the Toycon 2011 with Ckloy, Raffy, Deus, Viel and Gilbert.
- Attended and presented my paper the PAASE 2011 with Amie, Beulah and Julie
- Celebrated Daddy’s birthday by having dinner at Palaisdaan. Ezra and I bought him some angelfish for his present.
- Bought couple rings with Ckloy ❤
- Had my hair straightened again – and damaged it very badly T__T
- Went on vacation to Singapore and Malaysia with Ninang, Raffy and Ckloy, where we explored Sentosa, Orchard Road, MerlionPark, Suntec City, Sunway Lagoon, and Kuala Lumpur. We also met up with Tito Raffy and and Emiko and watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
- Went to MMSU with Amie so she could finish her experiments, and so I could show my data to my adviser
- Celebrated Camille’s birthday and her passing of the Physicians licensure examination
- Had a photoshoot with Vesma and Jay for their upcoming wedding
- Had a mini baking session with the girls at our house – we made cupcakes!
- My birthday, which I celebrated by having lunch with the family and attending the Otaku Expo 2011 and Hero Face Off 2
- Spent most of my time at home writing my thesis manuscript
- Celebrated Mommy’s birthday by having lunch at Pig Out with the family
- Almost went into emo-mode AGAIN after I learned that I wouldn’t be graduating AGAIN that semester (but luckily I had a lot of people cheering me up this time so I went back to normal after only a few hours)
- Finally got my adviser’s approval on my thesis so I started processing requirements for my defense
- Camille came over a lot (because she had a lot of free time that month) and taught Ezra and me how to bake 😀
- Drove on the SLEX for the 2nd time thanks to Aprille and Camille (and Migs). We planned on going to the Ralph Lauren warehouse in Carmona but it was closed so we ended up at Paseo de Sta. Rosa instead.
- Had my 6th anniversary with Ckloy
- Attended Baby Wilber’s christening with Ckloy
- Had a bachelorette party for Vesma
- DEFENDED MY THESIS! 😀
- Went to Los Angeles to spend the holidays with relatives
- Vesma, one of my dearest friends, got married! I wasn’t able to attend the ceremony, but it was still a big event for all us Baks.
- Went on a 3-day tour to Vegas and the Grand Canyon
- Visited Little Tokyo
- Went on a little sightseeing trip with our relatives to see Solvang, Pismo Beach and Hearst Castle.
- Spent Christmas and New Year’s Eve with our relatives in California
As you can see, 2011 was quite eventful for me. It was filled with lots of laughter and tears, and a lot of personal growth. I always thought that I had an equal share of ups and downs this year, but writing this entry made me realize that I had more good moments than bad 😀 I think one of my most life-changing experiences this year was living away from home for the first time. I know that my apartment is only about 2 hours away from home, but it was still a big change for me, and I learned a lot from it. I was depressed for a while about having to leave LB (which is probably why I felt like 2011 was so bad for me) but I eventually learned to enjoy it. (And now that I’m back in LB, I sorta miss it a bit XD).
Looking back, 2011 wasn’t so bad after all. I’m very blessed to have been able to spend it surrounded by my friends and loved ones 🙂