I’m finally posting this. As some of you may know, I write a wrap up entry every year here on my blog. I do it so I can look back on the important and memorable events which took place in those 12 months. Here’s my entry for 2014. Some of the items on my list are linked to blog entries I posted previously. I’m still catching up on blogging so some of the later events don’t have entries yet.
- Explored Luneta Park with Raffy and Ezra (and afterwards we dropped by Alphaland to pick up my GoPro, yaaay~)
- Went to Baguio and Dagupan with the family to visit NIFTDC. I learned a lot about my mom’s research on this trip.
- PLAN A
- Celebrated the Lunar New Year (and Tita Son’s birthday) with the family
- My highschool friends, Eugene and Cherry, were visiting the Philippines at the time and I was able to have dinner with them 😀
- IMSP held the first IMSP All Stars Concert to celebrate our 30th foundation day. I’m not much of a dancer but I had a lot of fun performing with the people I work with.
- My first two thesis advisees successfully defended their work and passed, yay 😀
- Celebrated April’s birthday by having lunch at Baan Thai
- Celebrated Ezra and Kurt’s birthday
- Went to California for the summer. Kurt took us to Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica and Little Tokyo on our first weekend there
- Played with some wax figures at Madame Tussauds in Hollywood, and ate some yummy Korean BBQ afterwards
- Enjoyed frolicking in the sun at Zuma Beach in Malibu
- Had a magical day at Disney’s California Adventure 😀
- Celebrated our parent’s 30th anniversary with an 8-day Alaskan Cruise
- Saw some amazing art at LACMA
- Played around at the California Science Center
- Saw a bunch of adorable animals at the LA Zoo
- Played frisbee at Playa Del Rey Beach
- Ckloy and I were reunited after being 6 months apart 😀
- Attended the ToyCon with the cousins
- Went to Boracay. We had a lot of fun snorkeling and paddle boarding 😀
- Typhoon Glenda hit the Philippines and left a lot of damage in its wake 😦
- Went to Liliw with Ninang to go shoe shopping 😀
- Amie and I went to UPD to visit our adviser, Ma’am Cherry. It’s been months since I’ve been to UPD, I didn’t realize how much I missed it.
- Classes resumed after a 4-month break (we shifted academic calendars this year) 😀 During registration I was asked to be an enlistor for the first time
- IMSP held a Symposium on Ultrafast Spectroscopy and I was part of the organizing committee
- Watched the last two Rurouni Kenshin movies. They were awesome~
- Celebrated my birthday with the family
- Spent an afternoon with Kat at Festival Mall before she had to leave for Sweden
- Volunteered as an exhibitor for IMSP’s SyenSaya exhibit : The Physics and Math in Origami
- Joined the UPLB Loyalty Day parade
- My parents went on a Japanese Cruise to celebrate my mom’s birthday, and returned with lots of pasalubong 😀
- Went to Baguio with Amie and Dustin to attend the 3rd MOVE Symposium (where Dustin won 3rd place in the poster competition). We also had a lot of fun walking around the city and looking for good ukay finds
- Played around at Enchanted Kingdom with other Physics faculty members (and Ezra) for NASC 3’s field trip
- Watched Big Hero 6 with Ckloy – it was adorable~
- Presented a poster at the 7th CAS Student-Faculty Research Conference
- Ckloy and I celebrated our 9th year together as a couple 😀
- IMSP Christmas Party
- Joined my first cosplay shoot and met lots of amazing people!
- Our barkada had our annual Christmas party at Brinky’s new place
- Started teaching myself how to play guitar after receiving a lovely pink guitar as a Christmas gift from Amie 😀
- Christmas Eve lunch with my mother’s side of the family
- Went to Thailand with the family and Amie and had a blast seeing new places and going shopping at the weekend market
On the whole, I can say that I’ve had a great year. I made new friends, visited some amazing places, learned new things and created some wonderful memories. Last year there were a lot of moments when felt depressed and confused about life, but I’m happy to report that this year was much better. I think it’s probably because I promised myself (at the end of 2013) that I will make a genuine effort to be happier in 2014. I’m usually quite the pessimist but I think I did a great job focusing on the positives this year. I tried doing the 365 Grateful project, which required me to think of one think that I’m grateful for each day. I wasn’t able to do it religiously, but I did keep a journal where I would occasionally write down small things that made me happy. Even if I did end up skipping a few days, it allowed me to see how fortunate I am to be surrounded by people who love and support me. And it made me realize how many great opportunities I’m presented with each day. I think having the proper mindset helped a great deal in making 2014 wonderful for me, so I’m definitely going to be continuing the 365 Grateful Project for 2015. I’m expecting a lot of big changes in my life this upcoming year. I normally avoid change like the plague, but I know that it’s inevitable, so I definitely need all the positive thoughts I can muster. Wish me luck!